A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

7.15.2016

Mum

I'm not really sure how to start this post but feel it's necessary as I've received many kind words from  so many readers. Thank you xx You see, my mum passed away on 2nd July. It was unexpected and I'm absolutely devastated.



Long time followers will remember her from the blog. She loved doing a spot of modelling and considered this space to be as much hers as mine. Mum's last appearance (here) was in fact a couple of weeks after she had, had a mastectomy back in December.

Looked pretty good didn't she.


But that was Mum. Always immaculately turned out, and I mean, always. There was never a slobby Sunday or can't be bothered Monday. In fact, she was up and out of the hospital bed a few hours after her op, fully made up, matching earrings and necklace ready to go home.

Mum had breast cancer 28 years ago, fought it courageously, never complained and got on with her life, giving the disease no room to breath. It skulked away beaten.

At 71 she was fit and healthy, loved a bit of Zumba, walking with her friends and generally living a full and active life. She was told late last year that she had breast cancer again - that was a blow for all of us. We chose not to share this on the blog. I planned a big come back post. Hey, look at Mum, she's back. But sadly it wasn't to be and on Saturday morning, 2nd July, Mum passed away (unexpectedly) in hospital, surrounded by her loved ones, on what was my parents Golden Wedding anniversary. We truly believe she held on, Dad would have felt cheated had they not made that milestone.



Of course Mum was the life and soul of every party. She knew everyone and a trip to the shops for a loaf of bread could take upward of 2 hours as she stopped to talk to this person and that. She had the most incredible memory for names and faces. Mum loved a tipple, it was a standing joke that 30 years ago she met up with her best friends in the pub one Tuesday night to talk about keeping fit. Of course 30 years later, they still met up in the pub on a Tuesday night....to talk about keeping fit.

She never stopped from morning to night, keeping a beautiful home that Dad built for her, visiting friends and of course shopping. Oh she loved to shop. Her dressing room is crammed full of clothes all beautifully laundered with matching jewellery swinging from the back of the door. Poor Dad had a couple of cupboards for his stuff! I did her colours for her many years ago and she never once deviated from her palette. A truly wonderful disciple she was.

We introduced her to Facebook and suddenly the world was her oyster. She bought herself an iPad and would happily sit and stalk my friends, telling me what they've been up to. That was funny. Mind you, she had online shopping off to a tee and quite happily browsed eBay for the latest fishing reel that Dad decided he couldn't live without. And let's not even talk about her iPhone, an extension of her right hand.



Her crowning glory was her hair, it never looked out of place. Never! People would often comment on how lovely it was. I thought she would struggle when she lost it through the chemo. But she didn't complain once. She chose a wig, it was pretty good actually, but boy did it itch and was relegated for special occasions only.

Mum spent her last 7 weeks in hospital. Complications they said, even the doctors were scratching their head and no one is still sure what caused them. Bodies are complicated things aren't they? The care she received on Ward 3 of Weston Park Cancer Hospital in Sheffield was incredible. Special people those nurses - they hang their wings up in the staff room when they arrive for work.

And then she was transferred to the Critical Care Unit at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. The tenderness of her nurses, Emily and Martin was humbling.

Mum's funeral was a celebration of her life. She wouldn't have wanted a somber occasion. As we drove towards the chapel, we could see the line of people snaking around the building and beyond. Just wow. So many, paying their respects to MY MUM. Flashes of pink, her favourite colour from pocket squares to ties to shawls and jewellery. It really was a lovely sight. I chose a pale pink dress - she always said I don't wear enough colour. I think she would have approved.




I haven't talked about how caring Mum was. It's only now almost two weeks later that I've finally been able to make sense of what people have told me. Yes of course as a family, we all knew she was kind and selfless. But when you find out what she actually did for others in their own hours of need, it kind of blows you away.

And so all I need to say to this incredible woman is Happy Birthday Mum, you would have been 72 today. I'm so proud to be called your daughter.












37 comments on "Mum"
  1. My eyes are filled with tears. Well done, for writing this post, as it must have been very tough. She certainly was a super stylish woman and a fabulous Mum. Our Mothers are so very precious. She would have, indeed, been so proud of you and would have definitely approved of your' outfit choice. Much love H xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, a beautiful post. At this most painful and heartbreaking time, I hope you find peace and solace in your positive memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. In tears reading this. You are so lucky to have had such an amazing mum. Treasure the memories and all the fabulous time you had together xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. In tears reading this. You are so lucky to have had such an amazing mum. Treasure the memories and all the fabulous time you had together xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. tears are trickling down my face. From knowing you, sending her the Yosa necklace and seeing how absolutely fabulous she was, this is just unbelievably sad. I am so so sorry for your loss, which must feel overwhelming Donna, as she was such a wonderful mother and person. Sending all my thoughts your way and i hope you and the family know that she will be watching over you from wherever she may be now. HUGS xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautifully written tribute to your mum Donna. She sounds like a wonderful person who will be missed by so many. You have a lifetime of happy memories to cherish. Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Donna I'm in tears at my desk, I'm so so sorry. Such a shock when this popped up on Instagram two weeks ago. She was clearly such a lovely woman, I loved her blog cameos! Condolences to you all, big big hugs x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna this is a lovely tribute to your Mum, I feel so emotional & am so sad you've lost her. Love to you all.
    Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful tribute for a cracking woman. So sorry to hear of your loss.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gorgeous tribute to such an elegant lady. Sending much love & sympathy at this sad time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely tribute to your amazing mum and what happy memories you will have. The space she must have left in your lives must be enormous and it will be hard for you all in the coming weeks and months. But she seems to have touched the lives of many and that is something for you all to be very proud of x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful tribute - she sounds like an amazing mum. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautifully written Donna. What a lady your Mum was, reduced me to tears. Sending you virtual love and support for your time now as know it can't be easy. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful tribute to your Mum. I follow your blog and just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful tribute to your lovely Mum Donna. I'm a blog follower and wanted to say I'm truly sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a moving tribute you've written for your mum and I'm so sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My thoughts are with you Donna and I wish you peace and comfort with your family. I certainly do remember your lovely Mum's appearances on the blog. She sounds an amazing person and your pride in her shines through in your words. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely tribute to an exceptional woman. I loved your blog posts about her. I know how terribly hard it is as I lost my Mum in May. All of the happy memories will help you get through the next few weeks and months xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your post brought tears to my eyes Donna, so brave. I lost my own lovely dear mum nearly 8 years ago and I still think of her every day but now I cam smile at the memories and not cry (most of the time anyway!) I felt very very lucky to have had her in my life for 71 years and so I can completely empathise with how you are feeling. Give yourself lots of time to grieve. Sending much love and my very best wishes to you and your family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Mine died last year and it's still difficult to imagine life without her. Take each day as it comes

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to read your post. Such beautiful words about your lovely mum. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely moving tribute to your lovely mum, I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling, but there is certainly lots of love sent to you through all your messages. Good luck and thank you for having to strength to share this..x Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  23. Donna, I'm a (silent) follower of your blog, and I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I remember well when you included your mum last year thinking what a lovely elegant lady she was. Having read your post today, it's clear she was all that and so much more to many people. What a lovely tribute your post is to her; I admire you for being so strong when you have just lost your beloved Mum. Dx

    ReplyDelete
  24. A beautiful tribute, I'm so very sorry for your loss, and wish you strength. With love, Gemma, a fan of your great blog, X

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful and very moving tribute, your Mum was clearly a very remarkable and vibrant woman. X

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful that you are able to pay such a lovely tribute to your mum to so many people - and from what you have said, she would be just over the moon about it.
    SusanD

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am sobbing silent tears after reading that amazing tribute to your mum Donna. The thing is that unlike most virtual friends' mums, we knew her so well from your blog. Her face was familiar and I loved seeing her featured here. I'm so very sorry for your loss. You are all in my prayers. I can tell that you have inherited lots from her..your warmth, your kindness and your amazing style. Sending love my friend, Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful tribute to your mum - sending love and best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. She sounds like a lovely lady, lots of love at this sad time, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am not a regular reader so I am a little late here but I just read your blog. I am stunned. That really should teach us all a lesson on enjoying every day of our life because we none of us know when it may be cut short. My heart goes out to you because I can see what she meant to you. Sheila J

    ReplyDelete
  31. beautiful, simple, kind, honest, my lips trembled as i read it. your mum would have ben proud. i loved the touch of pink and your putfit was elegant and classy. wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely tribute to your Mother, so glad you have wonderful memories to comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have only recently found your blog, such a sad post sad but so happy at the same time, glad she got to reach their Golden wedding anniversary-a beautiful life to remembered x

    ReplyDelete
  34. aw, im so sorry to hear this. thought it was great when your mum appeared in your blog. hope you feel ok,xx.

    ReplyDelete
  35. There's a chance you are eligible to receive a Apple iPhone 7.

    ReplyDelete