A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

9.22.2016

A Blazer Alternative Part 2

Last time we looked at the usefulness of a poncho. Blazers aren't for everyone, I get that. And sometimes, even I want to feel a little more relaxed. So what else can we wear. Well that'll be the boyfriend cardigan then. Now, personally I'm not a great twin set cardi fan. The front panels always seem to end up under my arms like a pair of flapping curtains. Even the goddess that was Audrey Hepburn had to fasten the top button to make it stay put. But somehow a longer cardi works much better. I don't constantly feel the need to readjust it.

And the best bit, it can be dressed up or down to suit everyone's style personality. It definitely makes the cut when we're talking wardrobe workers. You'll find a version of a boyfriend cardi in most stores every year. But you won't want to replenish EVERY year. So it's probably better to spend a little bit more on something that will last longer than an H&M £14.99 version.

Say hello to Kettlewell's boyfriend cardi.

This is no one season wonder. It's built to last. I have a few pieces from this company and they all wash and wear beautifully. And if blogger did emojis, I'd be putting three big thumbs up here. 

It's a close knit Merino wool, of decent weight so hangs really well and has all the elements of a fashion piece from any of the High Street shops. Pockets, tonal buttons, v-neck and a good length.

So, let's have a think about why it's a good addition to your wardrobe

1. It's long so covers the bum
2. It's long so keeps your bum warm!
3. It won't go out of fashion. There's been a version of the bf cardi for years
4. It works with lots of hem lines
5. It can be dresses up and down
6. It's ideal for in-betweeny weather
7. It's lovely to change into when you get home
8. It's cosy for those days when you need layers and sits quite happily under a coat
9. It's less prissy than a shorter cardi which can be harder to pull off

Ok boyfriend cardi you've made it into my wardrobe worker hall of fame.

I'm a City Chic style personality (find yours here) so have a tendency to dress things up. You may prefer a more relaxed approach. 

Mind you, I don't think I've done too badly. It's certainly feels a lot more relaxed than my normal blazer and heels.

Boyfriend Cardi - Kettlewell
Stripe Shirt - The Loft (similar)
http://www.next.co.uk/g642082s1#758196Navy Coated Leggings - Next
Grey Loafers - Next (love them in navy)
Red Bag - Coach (adore this one)


This is a medium, I'd say it fits a 12 (I'm between a 10 and a 12). 

Hopefully, I've captured the quality of the wool in this shot! 


It looks quite structured doesn't it which makes it easy to create a smart look. In fact I've worked out that I can replace any of my blazers with it. Husband even said he likes me in a more casual look and I should chill out and dress like this more often. I replied that I can't change my style personality but I can change my husband. But I kind of get where he's coming from. 




The cardi is available in 5 neutral colours: light grey marl (mine), oyster marl, Moroccan blue, dark olive marl and chocolate marl. Plus 5 fashion colours (check out the cherry red). So basically there's something for everyone. There's free p&p at the moment as well. 

Trouble is, there's just one thing missing. The weather! As I write this, I'm looking at temperatures tomorrow and we're nearly touching 20 degrees. All I want to do is wear my new cardi!

Are you a boyfriend cardi kinda girl? Got to say, I'm a convert and wonder why I'm so late to the party!

So, we have two blazer alternatives now a cardi and a wrap which I posted about yesterday (and there's 20% off the entire range of Mimi & Thomas until 31st October if you quote iwwsb16a/w.

Lovely day shopping with my aunty today. We managed to spend lots of her money. I'm still thinking that I should reorder that Winser London pencil skirt which I know would go so well with the cardi so couldn't apply my mind to anything else. And then, dinner in our local village, all very tame because my aunty is doing the Dryathlon so no alcohol was consumed. Ok, I might have had a wee tipple, just one mind. 




2 comments on "A Blazer Alternative Part 2"
  1. The cadigan is awesome sure you will get lots of wear out of it Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, I'm looking forward to wearing it lots x

      Delete