$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

11.24.2016

9 Dresses From The ASOS Black Friday Sale That Will Take You Beyond Christmas

Better late than never, ASOS has joined the jolly Black Friday merry-go round with 20% off across the board and NO MINIMUM SPEND (use code GOGOGO). I stopped procrastinating and finally made a start on the Christmas shopping yesterday and currently have 17 items winging their way to me (no kids, if you're reading this, they're not all yours). So I'm sat here feeling smug. I mean, how difficult can it be? Family provides a list, I sit with a cup of coffee, google like hell for the cheapest, free p&p deals, flex the old credit card and wait for the parcels to arrive.

Except, I've already had 2 emails saying that items are no longer available (cr*p stock control) and it means I'm going to have to stay in for the next week to receive the parcels.

Why do delivery men ALWAYS deliver when:

a) you've popped out for 12 minutes to the post office (but you've been in all day other than that)
b) you're vacuuming and don't hear the door bell
c) you've been in a telephone queue to a call centre for 47 minutes and are now plugged in to the charger because there's no charge left on your mobile. Meaning you can't get to the door!!
d) you've just got out of the shower dripping wet through and can't find anything decent to put on
e) you're having a wee
f) Homes Under The Hammer are about to announce how much the house is now worth after renovations

Mind you, it still beats joining the crowds at The Trafford Centre. I am a die-hard internet shopping fan.

Anyway, back to ASOS. I've pulled out a few little pearlers that will take you through the festive period and, because we have a life after Christmas, well into next year too. I've tried to pick out pieces that are pretty easy to wear. I'm a lazy so-and-so and really can't be bothered to think too hard about what type of bra is needed and whether I'll need to shoehorn my body into shape wear.

All prices before the discount is applied.


First up and this is an absolute corker. The under belly of our upper arm is covered but we're still seeing a hint of sexy shoulder. The hemline really does make the dress look far more expensive than it is and it's navy. We all get navy, it's so much more forgiving on everyone as we get older. By the way, I hadn't realised that dropped hems are back - ASOS is teeming with them.

Closet London Cold Shoulder Long Sleeve Dress £58



And the back view. Stunning with rose gold.



And for women who can do jewel tones (Clears look amazing in these), we have a lovely vibrant emerald green. Perfect for a spring wedding too.

Closet London Cold Shoulder Long Sleeve Dress £58



An easy wear next and another navy number. This is the sort of dress that I think you can do a lot with by adding different colour accessories. Gold, silver, rose gold, black, neutrals or even a pop of colour such as pink. If I'm doing a pop, I'd keep it to one thing such as shoes otherwise it looks too matchy-matchy. Easily dressed down too with a biker jacket  and changing the belt for a leather one. The relaxed fit would be ideal for the mountains of food that you'll no doubt consume on Christmas Day. Just saying!

Midi Dress In Plisse With Self Tied Belt £35



Also available in green although as hard as I've stared, it looks grey to me.

Midi Dress in Plisse With Self Tie Belt £35



Ok, so personally, I'd have to add a lace trimmed cami under this next one but you could have a bit of fun playing with colours; black, nude, grey etc. The neckline is perfect for pear shapes as it makes the shoulders look wider than they are, resulting in a more balanced frame. And the colour is bob-on for most skin tones (red heads might want to add gold to warm it up a little).

Selected Alba Long Sleeve Silk Wrap Dress £170



Claire Underwood eat your heart out. This one is for you! Didn't she have the best wardrobe in House Of Card? And did you know, the actress, Robin Wright also played Jenny in Forest Gump? Full of trivial trivia I am. If you're wondering what Plisse is by the way, it's the crinkle fabric which never creases, a perfect packing partner. A dress that will sit in your wardrobe for years and so easy to update each season. Add a blazer for the office or dress it up for a day at the races. One for the cooler skin tones I would say.

Plisse Midi Dress In Marl Pleated Fabric £35



Some pattern now. This is a blogger's favourite and it's not difficult to see why. I love the unusual print and it's nice to see that they haven't gone overboard with the size of the pattern.

Warehouse Ink Rose Midi Dress £59



You know when you've pigged out on Boxing Day, all the relatives have gone home and you have a date with a Netflix box set, a tin of celebrations and the dregs of  three opened bottles of wine? This dress is perfect. Warm, cosy and no digging. And then after Christmas, biker jacket and boots.

Miss Selfridge Slouchy Knit Dress £35 (more sizes available here)



Or a more tailored knitted dress. A clever one; that rouching will hide those little pot bellies. I'm a big fan of this style. But then I would be, me and my little pot belly.

Warehouse Side Rouch Detail Dress £39 (more sizes available here)



Ok, so I've played it pretty safe with these choices but you know what, you'll still be wearing these dresses waaaay down the line. That's sensible Black Friday shopping!

A Few Other Cyber Deals You Might Like To Know


Boden (use code F6P8) 30% off plus free p&p including these fabulous heels

The White Company (use code AP380) 20% off almost everything. I could do a lot of damage in the candle department!

Great Plains 50% off selected items. Plus the Claudia Suited Trench that I have (and love) is in the sale

French Connection 50% off selected items. This fantastic jumper is now only £38

Moda In Pelle 25% off everything plus free p&p over £50

Kettlewell Colour 30% off selected lines (limited stock)

Baukjen (Use Code FREE201620% off plus a free gift and another discounted. That makes this turtleneck very very good value.

Dorothy Perkins upto 50% off and free p&p over £40. This ruffle shirt is now only £16.80

Hush 25% off selected styles

Mimi & Thomas (use code BLKFRI15OFF) 15% off everything. You so need one of these cashmere wraps in your life

Laura Ashley 30% off everything (fashion and home) including my beautiful floral midi and this stunner which is almost half price

All Saints (use code CYBER) 30% off everything including their leather jackets (crying in a corner here, I paid full price)

Top Shop upto 50% off. This leather studded bag is now only £18. Looks amazing with black, navy or charcoal


Personally I'm sorted on the Christmas outfit front although I'm sure there'll be a manic moment when I realise I need something sparkly or other. I'm waiting for John Lewis to do something Black Friday-ish though. Husband heard me groaning yesterday and asked what was wrong.

"It's John Lewis, I said. They're not in discounting mode yet"

"Why what do you want?" he replied

"This turtle neck jumper, it's still £35"

John Lewis Turtle Neck Jumper



"Just buy the bloody thing woman"

He just doesn't get it does he. Black Friday is a drug.

How are you getting on with your shopping?







2 comments on "9 Dresses From The ASOS Black Friday Sale That Will Take You Beyond Christmas "
  1. So right about the deliveries! That made me laugh as I have missed them in the same ways. I try to specify a safe place to leave the item if the website allows. The other day I was convinced a parcel had been stolen, then I found that my son had already brought it in, leaving the delivery card on the floor by the letter box! Have nearly finished the present buying now thank goodness. Good luck with yours Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided that Black Friday for me comes under the same umbrella as Halloween! I know it's there, it's all around, but I don't have to participate!! Although, unlike Halloween, I just can't resist bargain......!Yvonne

    ReplyDelete