$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

11.01.2016

A City Chic Easy Wear Top

So, continuing on from the last post about all things City Chic, I've had a request from a reader who I think represents many of us.

Hi Donna

Thanks so much for your brilliant post about City Chic dressing. I think this is the style personality that best suits me. I'm 5ft 5, size 12 and carry my weight around my tummy (yuk). I hate my muffin top with a passion and have yet to find a t-shirt that I can wear under a blazer or jacket that I'm totally happy with. You suggested in your post to look for a smart t-shirt or top but the white Baukjen one is likely to cling in the places where I don't want it to. Have you come across any smartish t-shirts or tops that would be suitable to wear under blazers?

Thanks 

Anon


Dear Anon

As it happens, yes I have indeed come across a top that I think would be perfect. Please read on.

Yours

Donna x

I mentioned last time that Esprit is great for basic, simple pieces and I think this little top might well be the answer to many women's problems.

Esprit Flowing Top With Ribbed Detail £29






Let's assess it's virtues

It's figure skimming as opposed to fitted
It has long sleeves
The ribbed neck is genius giving it a sporty feel
The dipped hem is flattering when worn out but still looks great tucked in (or semi-tucked)
The viscose jersey fabric will keep it's shape more than a traditional cotton
The bateau neckline is flattering (but not so wide that it looks sloppy)
It's perfect for layering
It's available in 3 great neutrals (read this post all about pale pink)

It's a top that thinks it's a t-shirt. Brilliant!

Ok, I know it's not as exciting as buying a pair of sparkly pink shoes but gosh, it's such a useful piece. Think of it as a foundation garment, a bit like your underwear. Very necessary!

Can't decide whether to try the pink or the black....or maybe both! Will report back.






1 comment on "A City Chic Easy Wear Top"
  1. Ha! Anon could be me!!!! Love that top ... off to investigate further x

    ReplyDelete