A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

11.21.2016

A Very Happy Birthday

Oh yes it was (and I've still got two more little celebrations to go). So 50 has it's upsides then. Yesterday was the turn of my family, a lively bunch to say the least. I decided early on that I didn't want a huge party instead opting for a few individual celebrations. You know what it's like, lots of people who have travelled miles to help you celebrate and feeling that you need to speak to everyone and then realising that you're so absorbed in making sure they're having a good time that you don't quite enjoy it as much as you should. Nah, I'd much rather be a guest. So, celebrating my birthday over a number of events was the answer. It was a good decision!

Anyway, back to Sunday. Husband has amassed more brownie points over the past couple of weeks than feels healthy. I'm feeling somewhat uncomfortable being so indebted (lol). He arranged all the catering himself. I do need to point out that he didn't actually cook the stuff but he did organise for caterers to come in to take the work load from me. I wanted home comfort food because everyone was travelling over the tops of the Peak District....in November.....on a wet day....with snow on the hills. Are you getting my drift? So meat pie and roast potatoes or lasagne and salad or both if you were feeling greedy. Followed by a mountain of Tiramisu, fruit pies and cup cakes.

We have an old bar from our daughter's 18th birthday that we dragged out of the garage and set up in the hallway along with a help-yourselves-get-creative Mimosa bar.

I toiled for weeks over my playlist on Spotify. Every song that I chose had a meaning:

-If I Had My Life To Live Over - a favourite of Mum's
-Come Up & See Me (Make Me Smile) - memories of being 18 again and watching Duran Duran who did a cover version of this with my best friend Gillian
-Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue - a record I used to play over and over and over again at my Aunty Sandra and Uncle Glen's house

& lots of Elvis, just because.

I'd planned my outfit, a white dress but that never happened because JD Williams got in touch and asked if they could send me something to wear. I picked out this red dress to have a look at, still expecting that I'd wear the white. As soon as it arrived, I back tracked. Ladies this dress is simply stunning.

Lorraine Kelly Peplum Lace Dress £55

Dress - JD Williams
Black lace tie shoes - Asos (similar here and here)
Bag- Autograph, M&S (love this)

The lace detailing on the shoulders is so pretty and you probably don't even need to do a necklace. I opted for a very thin chain choker which didn't interfere with the neckline at all. It's an easy wear number, minimal accessories required. Just let the dress do the talking.

And what can I say about the stunning peplum hem? It takes a very nice dress to a whole new level.



No Spanx required. I wore a shaping slip from Marks & Spencer to smooth everything down (no one really needs to know that do they?). But they are brilliant under dresses.

It's a comfortable stretchy polyester (think Ponte fabric) and the colour is divine. Red's a difficult one to get right isn't it? I'd say this particular shade is red-red (not too blue as in strawberry and not too yellowy as in orange). It's bang in the middle of the colour chart which makes it a little easier for more women to pull off.



Now then, I have a bit of a dilemma. We've got a couple of posh dos coming up and I'm sorted for one of them. I was going to look for a long dress for the other. I'm now thinking sod that, I'll wear this to both because it's so comfy and feels nice. And I'm not going to argue with that even if it does me out of buying a new dress.

If you're looking for an ace dress at a very affordable £55 this Christmas, get yourself over to JD Williams to order this one. There's 20% off for new customers too. It's slightly bigger than true to size. I'm wearing a 10, it fits perfectly and I'm normally on the larger size of a standard 10. Does that make sense?



The party was a fabulous, I think everyone enjoyed it. And I had some beautiful gifts including a stunning engraved silver bangle from the children. I'm feeling very, very blessed to be surrounded by lovely people.





Hope you had a good weekend too.




6 comments on "A Very Happy Birthday"
  1. You are stunning, elegant and glowing in the red dress Donna. Not surprised you want to wear it again to the other occasions. Such a lovely shade of red and a great design.
    Your party looks wonderful! Glad you had such a good time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine, I felt really nice which is always a winner isn't it. And yes, the party was fab. Wish I could do it all again next week x

      Delete
  2. You really do look radiant. Such a stunning dress ... but as my mother used to say, it's the hanger that makes or breaks it!!! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful celebration (I'd have been straight to the meat pie and roasties ... mmmmmmm!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen and I love that saying. I'm breaking it today by the way. This birthday lark is knackering! Oh the pie!! Geoff the Chef did us proud. In fact guess what we had for dinner tonight? It was delicious x

      Delete
  3. Wow that dress looked fantastic Donna, I hope you can re-wear it over the Christmas period too. Glad you had a great few days celebrating your special birthday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou, I certainly plan to wear it again in 2016 x

      Delete