$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

12.05.2016

Marks & Spencer 'Try Tuesday' Styling Service...The Results Are In

So last time, I talked about Marks & Spencer's Try Tuesday online styling service. You can read about my user experience here

A couple of days after submitting my questionnaire, I received an email back from my stylist, Jodie with a recommendation of 27 pieces. 




The selection was very paired back on the colour front; black, white, grey and denim with lots of easy mix pieces including accessories. Here's a selection;








Jodie comments on each item and gives a few styling ideas and points out any features she thinks may be of interest.




I'm then asked to rate each item; looks good or have similar or not quite right. Along with a brief reason why I love or loathe something. There's no getting around this, it's time consuming but I guess it gives the stylist an idea of what she's got bob-on and what to avoid next time. 

I was a little disappointed that my 'colouring' seemed to have been ignored and almost all of the colours aren't in my palette. I even offered a little hint by saying my eyes are green (when really they're blue-green). Not that I don't wear them but I would have loved to have seen some of my colours such as camel feature. To be fair, she stuck to the brief of neutral colours, just not my neutrals. 

Some of the suggestions were way out of my comfort zone such as wearing a dress over a pair of jeans or teaming a dress with a long cardi and 'bover' boots. Not really my style personality. In fact, I had to go back and check what I'd inputted originally. I'd asked for tailored, minimal and chic. But then I'd also asked for a complete overhaul so probably only had myself to blame. 

There were a few pieces that would totally not work with my 'problem areas'. It was suggested that I wore a belt over chunky knitwear. Oh god no! Not with my belly!!!



Jodie threw in a wild card which I actually liked very much. The pictures online are pretty pants in the usual M&S way but layered with a black polo neck or white shirt, I'm pretty tempted! Guess where I'm going tomorrow.



Overall, I'm impressed with the service. It feels relaxed and absolutely no pressure to buy and this first selection seems to be a work-in-progress for the stylist to build up a picture of me and my lifestyle. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who is short of time (or ideas). 

I poo-pooed some of the items that were chosen for me (the check shirt and jeans combo) but on reflection, it's made me question my own style and whether I should try to be a little more casual. And that's what it's all about isn't it? 

We had our first Christmas family meet up this weekend at our usual haunt, The Belfry in the Midlands. Convenient to everyone as we live all over the place! Normally we would meet for Sunday lunch but this time met on Saturday and stayed over. This place takes on a very different persona on a Saturday night which given that there's a nightclub in the grounds isn't surprising. There seemed to be a particularly difficult flight of stairs to negotiate outside our room. Perfectly easy to master when you're sober but I saw at least two people go a*se over t*t from top to bottom. Thankfully there were only 6 steps (I counted) but it was funny to watch. Not so funny to listen to at 3am. That aside, it was lovely and they always excel on the decoration front.


^^^ Travelling outfit and then I forgot to take any more photos (what a dope). Anyway, all the links are here if you're interested.

Christmas shopping has well and truly ground to a halt. A full review of the spreadsheet will be undertaken tomorrow (and yes kids, it is password protected). Remedial measures will be put in place. How are you doing with yours? 


12 comments on "Marks & Spencer 'Try Tuesday' Styling Service...The Results Are In"
  1. I've tried the styling service a couple of times now and the first edit they gave me was more me than the second! And some of the items in the second one were no longer available to buy which was a bit pointless. The stuff they've recommended to you is more my style and my edit was more you - some very high heels in my which just aren't suited to my lifestyle at the mo (2 small boys). I will give it another go though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there was a lot of the stylists own personality that came out in my edit. She's got earrings on in her photo and recommended several pairs (I don't do them at all). She also said I wear it like this and I like to do that. I gave really comprehensive feedback to help her understand me more so will be interested to see what she chooses next time. Overall I thought she did a good job though x

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried the M and S service so it was interesting to see your report on it. Can I be honest and say that their selection fir you doesn't inspire me. All the black and grey is not really a patch on your usual colour combinations which suit you so well. It lacks the wow factor which your own style has in abundance. For example you recently wore a lovely navy outfit accessorised with chestnut brown bag and boots which was an unexpected and stunning combination and just as wearable and useful in terms of mixing and matching. I can see that they are trying to create a workable, versatile wardrobe but you do it far better yourself Donna. They've missed out on giving you some lovely burgundy or camel. Well I've said it now, forgive my honesty! Hope your Christmas preparations are going well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I think you do a far better job yourself Donna. I was really surprised that it was a totally monochrome selection - very disappointing.
      Please don't buy that pinafore jumpsuit thingy by the way ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Helen. It's interesting to see the M and S service in action of course, but I do adore Donna's own style. Xx

      Delete
    3. Thanks both. See also comment from Fortyandofftherailsoftherails below who received similar suggestions.

      Delete
  3. I like some of the items, the metallic pleated skirt for example I could see you in. The navy coat looks nice. My overall impression is that there is A LOT of dark stuff, I think my eyes would glaze over if that was what they sent to me! I like that you keep your silhouette simple but bring a colour / a small pattern / texture into play. Some of this is (dare I say it) a smidge boring compared to your usual style....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there's me thinking I am boring personified lol. I could see how a few of the pieces would slot very well in to my own wardrobe but yes you're right, I'd need to add a little colour by way of accessories. Let's see what I get next time x

      Delete
  4. I can't believe what dull colour palette she choose, there is literally no colour in there at. Have to say the majority of your items were ones they suggested for me, including the pinafore jumpsuit! Not my favourite thing! Like the metallic skirt though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess she is either trying to start me off with a basic wardrobe or integrate with my other stuff. Trouble is these aren't my best colours!! But that's really interesting what you say about receiving similar recommendations. Hmmmmmmmmm x

      Delete
  5. Hi there, I'm new to your blog and am really enjoying it so far. I've already hit that big number by the way! I received an invitation to TryTuesday a couple of months ago and have been allocated a different stylist. Similar to your previous commenter, I recognised every single recommendation you were sent from my recent "edit" and even the comments about the items and why she chose them are exactly the same! I am somewhere between Soft and Warm in colouring so maybe it's not so totally impossible that the same things were chosen but you are younger slimmer and more on trend than me soooo.... Anyway I really enjoy looking at the selections, I've bought a couple of things and I'm not at all averse to trying something different. But I must question just how "individual" it is. Best wishes Aundrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aundrea and welcome to the blog. I think your observations are sadly true, I've been chatting to other women via email who have had a similar experience. Given the fact that my colouring seemed to be totally ignored (as indeed it sounds as yours was too), it reaffirms that the items suggested are from a template rather than person specific. Hope you'll keep reading xx

      Delete