A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

2.17.2017

Spring Easy Wear Weekend Dressing For Real Women

I do love a bit of Pinteresting (is that even a word?). You know, sit down with a cup of coffee and search to your hearts content. You can throw in any old random search:

S/S17 streetwear or
How to wear ruffles or
Looking chic on holiday

And that's before we even start looking at interiors, recipe ideas, seasonal gardening and knitting (errrr 15,600 pins on a knitted animal themed coffee cup sleeve, I kid you not). When did we become a world of nosey parkers?

But the fashion-y ones can make us mere mortals (me) feel somewhat inadequate. Young stunning girls sitting outside trendy coffee shops wearing vertigo inducing heels, spray-on skinnies, sheer bo-ho blouses (that obviously took hours to iron) full make up and not a coat, hat or scarf to be seen. And the caption...

"15 Winter Looks Everyone Is Obsessed With Right Now"


So far from real life, I could weep. Well my real life, I don't know about yours! I want easy pieces that I can put on and forget about for the rest of the day. I don't want scruffy but I do want comfort. I want outfits that work on lots of different levels. I want to feel good, kinda smart and confident in the clothes I wear.

Never more so than at weekends with the family so I thought I'd put a few looks together that fulfil these needs because I am that real woman. With a family and a dog, I do Saturday morning school drop offs, late night party pick ups and food shopping. I run errands and vac the hallway 3 times a day because someone has left the front door open and all the leaves have blown in. I chuck laundry into the washing machine and watch for the rain to stop so that the dog can have his walk. I visit family and friends, drink wine and eat cheeky roasts at the local pub, cook, clean and everything else that a million + other women do too. That's my weekend.

Winser London have very kindly let me borrow some pieces to show you what I'd really like to pin on Pinterest, my take on spring easy wear weekend dressing. Nothing too fashiony, but there are easy wear pieces that have a relative amount of smartness because I don't do sloppy (even my porridge has substance). Basically I want to be a City Chic wearing simple, classic pieces that are timeless and require minimal effort.

Let's do this....

1. The Boyfriend Jumper & Jeans


First up, a simple boyfriend jumper and white jeans. Pale pink is 'the' colour of the season so while the rest of the outfit is not at all high fashion, the colour is. And, it will keep on giving far longer than say the 1970 Bella Freud jumper that is oh-so popular (I do love the BF jumper by the way but I want something that will stand the test of fashion time).

And the jeans are just glorious, they fit like a dream. Ok, I know white jeans aren't everyone's cup of tea especially if you have children of waist height proportions that take great delight in hanging off your knees with grubby fingers. I clean the wood burner in mine, bleach the loo, take the dog out. I'm more likely to spill spag bol down my front than dirty my bottom half. And there's something about white jeans that has an instant smartening effect don't you think?


Boyfriend Jumper - Winser London
White Jeans - Winser london
Wanderlust Pumps - Holster Australia
Coat - Zara (similar)

Clothes deets: I'm wearing a medium in the boyfriend jumper which is over sized but without being sloppy. It's Merino wool, a perfect spring weight and is available in many colours. The jeans are size 10, my usual size with a decent stretch. Really comfortable and my first experience of trying Winser London jeans. The pumps are by Holster Australia in silver, the comfiest shoes I own. There are some sizes left over on the website but new spring colours are due in soon according to Instagram




2. Striped Jumper & Capri Pants

Don't we love our stripes? You know, you could be wearing a raggy old pair of jeans but add a freshly ironed striped top and it transforms the whole outfit. It's a given that every woman should have stripes in her wardrobe! And of course they never, ever date so it's worth investing in quality. This one is 100% cotton and if you're doing a UK beach holiday this summer, GET THIS. It's perfect for layering over a vest top and shorts when the weather takes a turn. The slightly wider neckline is very flattering and the dipped hem at the back covers our little bottoms.

Now, let's talk about trousers. They're like bloomin buses, you spend weeks searching for them and then three pairs come along at once (check out this post for the Next cropped flares and Gap real straight jeans). But these ones, they've set the bar at the very top. They are the queen of trousers. Double knit Ponte pull on Capris. Deep concealed elastic waistband that sits neatly across the tummy and holds everything in. I wasn't sure whether I'd like them from the photo online. I don't like them. I love 'em. Don't let the fact that they look like a thick legging put you off. They totally look like a proper pair of tailored Capris on. I'm wearing the midnight which is a dark navy.

Teamed with an old pair of Converse and with hindsight I wish I hadn't worn them. You know when there's something in your wardrobe that you don't like but don't know why. That! I think it's because they're just too casual and cool for me. Maybe it's because Converse look better when they're battered and dirty. Mine are still as pristine as when they came out of the box many years ago! There's no hope really is there 🙈

Cotton Casual Jumper - Winser London
Emma Miracle Pintuck Capri Trousers - Winser London
All Star Low White Converse -  Office

Clothes deets: I'm wearing a medium jumper. I would probably size down in this if you're between sizes because it's quite swingy. The trousers are size 10, my usual size. They're available in black (a great work wear option) and camel.




3. The Audrey Jumper & Capri Pants

I've always had a soft spot for cricket jumpers (which are due for a comeback this season by the way) and yacht wear. God knows where that throw-back has come from. But this next jumper seems to be a modern combination of both which makes me very happy. I mean, it is so darn English isn't it? 100% cotton so very breathable for when you need a sweater but don't want to roast-in-a-bag. It's over-sized but cut straight which is an important point. Sweaters that are cut wide can look really sloppy and are difficult to obtain a sleek city chic look.

Trousers are as before and I'm wearing sling back loafers from last year (much easier to walk in than backless ones).

Audrey Cotton Jumper - Winser London
Emma Miracle Pintuck Capri Trousers - Winser London
Sling Black Loafers - Next (similar)
Pippa Grab Bag - Modalu

Clothes deets: I'm wearing a medium jumper. If you're in between sizes, go down as it's roomy. Capri trousers are size 10, my usual size.





And in keeping with the simple theme, I'm wearing minimal jewellery, just a tiny necklace and a couple of small bracelets. Even my hair is low maintenance. That means not washed and blow dried by the way. A quick back comb behind the crown and then a piece of hair taken from each side above the ear, twisted and pinned with bobby pins at the back. It takes a whole 3 minutes to do.

So let's have a quick recap about pulling off casual wear (in a kinda City Chic way) for the real woman.

1. Choose classic pieces such as stripes
2. Avoid fuss and detail
3. Straight cut tops and sweaters are smarter than wider, slouchy cuts
4. Controversial I know, but a dark wash denim is better than a lighter wash
5. Keep accessories to a minimum
6. Trainers should be clean and possibly of the plain leather variety rather than sporty

Ok so now I need to fess up, I loved these pieces so much that I bought three of them, the Ponte trousers, the Audrey jumper and boyfriend jumper. I'm building up quite a little collection of Winser London.

We've only just broken up for half term and I believe temperatures are predicted to hit 17 degrees next week. Sod's Law, I'm out of the country. Happens every time. If you want great weather, put me on an aeroplane. Question is, am I doing a hot or cold weather hol? Family vote resulted in a 3-1landslide victory so one of us is very disappointed!!!!!!

Have a lovely weekend.















7 comments on "Spring Easy Wear Weekend Dressing For Real Women"
  1. You've totally nailed Casual Chic Donna with these fabulously stylish and wearable outfits. I love all these looks especially those gorgeous navy Capris. Hope you enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg i've got to order those capri's! Happy weekend Donna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so looking forward to wearing them when I got back from my hols. Wasn't banking on the snow lol X

      Delete
  3. Love this post! But the link for the striped sweater takes me to a coat on ASOS...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Thanks for pointing out, I've relinked x

      Delete
  4. Nice posting.Thank you for sharing this post such a useful information.
    Spring Tops for Women
    ladies blazers and jackets

    ReplyDelete