$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

3.31.2017

Soft Bikers

As in jackets, not those hairy tattoo-bodied men.

And that's a contradiction in terms isn't it? Soft. Bikers. We're used to those leather creations that add a certain amount of edge to an outfit, great for toughing up a more feminine line. But I'm all about the non-leather today (and that includes wanabee-leather too).

So why would we possibly consider exchanging a fabulous leather biker jacket for a fabric one? 


Well.....

1) A fabric biker gives the comfort of a cardi but smartness of a jacket - no matter how soft and supple leather is, it's always going to be stiffer than it's jersey counterpart and at my age, if I can cheat here and there to achieve a look, well, I'll take that.

2) Leather can look heavy at this time of year even in lighter shades. But, a fabric one has a much lighter look meaning you can wear it from Spring right through to Autumn. Perfect for those chillier days and late summer evenings. It provides a bit of warmth without the heaviness.

3) Leather stands off the figure if left unfastened, not something curvy ladies need as it can add pounds to the frame. Jersey being much softer and more fluid follows the body line and drapes beautifully.

4) They're soooooo much cheaper than the leather versions!

I wore a grey sweatshirt fabric one today. It's old but hey, there's still life in the old bird. It provided all the elements for a spring piece; it was warm enough in the morning before the sun came out but I didn't boil in the afternoon and I don't think it looks too heavy with this outfit. Oh and you try pulling up the sleeves on a leather jacket - impossible!

Biker Jacket - Brave Soul (similar)
Pinstripe Culottes - Zara (similar)
White Printed Tee - Ichi (old)
Bonnie Studded Flat Shoes - Boden (now in sale)
Hobo Bag - Aspinal of London

And here are a few options for you to ponder.

This is very similar to mine which I find such a useful neutral colour. Works equally well with jeans and smarter black.

Vila Jersey Biker Jacket £40



Be still my beating heart. Now had I not already got a grey one, this would be winging it's way to me as I type.

Miss Selfridge Textured Biker Jacket £39 


Fist in mouth and trying to convince myself that I don't need khaki (I do, I do). Another really useful neutral, fab for chucking over a midi dress.


Khaki Green Soft Biker Jacket £45



I've struggled to find navy - rocking horse doo-doo springs to mind. This is a slightly more classic shape for you ladies who prefer this look.

Kaleidoscope Lace Biker Jacket £55


Oooh super super useful in ecru. This wouldn't look out of place at a smarter occasion. Ideal for slipping over a dressy-dress for a day at the races. Not sure I'd do the whole space cadet look below!

Mango Zipped Biker Jacket £49.99



Colour? Citrine can be a hard one to pull off if you have a cool skin tone so take a big mirror to the window and have a look what it does to your face. If you look fresher and brighter, this is the colour for you. Citrine looks fantastic with navy as well as black, charcoal and white.

Next Citrine Textured Biker Jacket £55



Soft coral. Again looks great with all the neutrals including the white jeans (as Barry White would have said in his dulcet tones, oh yeah).


Vila Biker Jacket £40



I was going to stay away from prints as they're not so versatile but then I wasn't actually expecting to see something like this. A.D.O.R.E. The slogan t-shirt underneath looks ace 💖💖  Print perfection.

White Floral Print Lace Biker Jacket £45



And I wasn't going to include suede either (it being a variation of leather) but this was too cute to leave out. A cropped mac-cum-biker hybrid jacket. Mwah. Breaks all the rules but sod it!

Miss Selfridge Suedette Biker Jacket £45



There are stacks of them out there if you look. I'm happy with my grey one and I have a cocoa brown one lurking in the back of my wardrobe somewhere that I should really fish out too. How about you? Do you wear fabric bikers or are you happy with leather for every season? Do tell.

Stress levels (mine) are going through the roof at the moment. Why will boys not revise? Or more to the point why will my boy not revise for more than 20 minutes? He's self diagnosed himself as having ADHD and says he needs a fidget toy (yes they're really a thing). And no, he doesn't have ADHD. Roll on 21st June, his final GCSE. I've taken to sneaking up the stairs (if you walk on the outsides, they're less likely to creek - true fact), with a homemade periscope to check he's not watching Tom Syndicate on YouTube. Apparently Sybil Birling from An Inspector Calls isn't half as interesting as Tom!

Anyway, I have a full day out with t'hubby tomorrow (yeay). At Borehamwood watching the football (booooo). Oh well, we might catch an early dinner before getting the train home.


5 comments on "Soft Bikers"
  1. Hi Donna, love your outfit. I could easily use the soft bikers as they'd look great with jeans or a dress or a full skirt, as long as they are very short. Love the khaki one and that coral one. I do still wear a leather biker in spring especially if it's not that warm. I admit to wearing a short denim one too with dresses or smart trousers for daytime, but not with denim jeans! It's just easy and comfy to wear a short fabric jacket as you say, with the spring climate being so unpredictable - it's so easy to seriously overheat! Hope you enjoy your weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. They're pretty useful and I wear this one a lot. As you say, they go with lots of things. The main difference between a fabric biker and leather one is that I feel totally comfortable leaving the former on all day (even when I'm in the house) as it feels like a cardigan. I've yet to conquer the denim jacket and only seem to wear mine over maxi dresses and certainly not with jeans (been there, done that) xx

      Delete
  2. Tall Girls have a navy fabric one (it also comes and grey and I think black) - it's longer in the body than the ones you've shown here, but that's great for us tallies! And the sleeves are an amazing length. I may or may not have the navy and the grey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, not sure if I dare look because I'll probably want to buy it!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Just brought Miss Selfridge textured biker. I love it. X

    ReplyDelete