$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

5.26.2017

Styling A Black Summer Dress For Day Time Wear & Holidays

I've got so much to tell you, new discoveries, days out, underwear revelations, the perfect white trousers and of course continuing our dressing for your body shape series (next instalment will be live this weekend, weather permitting 🌞 ). My head is swimming I tell you.

Let's tick off one of these things in this post as per the title up there ^^^

I love a bit of print I do, but in very small doses. I wore a floral dress in London earlier this week and honestly by the end of the day I was ready for ripping it off. All that busyness (that word looks so wrong in print but it sounds ok doesn't it?) messed with my head. And I've come to realise over the years, that a plain summer dress stays in my wardrobe far longer than a print which I soon tire of and chuck on ebay. So it makes sense to build up a few basic summer dresses yes?

This was from Gap, sadly no longer available and is the perfect shape for my rectangular figure. It's cut straight and has the all important upper arm coverage. The curved hem adds a little bit of interest to an otherwise VERY plain dress.

*for ladies who struggle to wear black, look for lower necklines such as this one so you're not wearing it directly underneath your chin.

Dress - Gap (similar below)
Hat - TK Maxx (old)
Bag - Primark (still available in store but hurry, they're selling fast)
Coastline Flip Flops - Holster Australia

It's a good holiday dress. Most would say beach to bar. I say yuk. I can't wear a dress all day long, shower and then wear it again in the evening? It's plain wrong. No, far better to do bar to beach. Wear it in the evening with a pair of sandals and a bright clutch bag and then relegate it to day wear later on in the holiday when you can fling it over your bikini. One dress, two ways. Makes far more sense in my head. But of course we don't just shop for holiday dresses do we? They have to work back home too. A plain black casual dress is a perfect all rounder.

Here are a few options that would work equally as well.

Linen Black Dress £24



And it has a lovely v shaped back.


And to illustrate my point, here are a few different looks that you can play around with. First up, keeping everything neutral.
And for those who are more adventurous, a bit of colour.




Told you a black dress is versatile! But then you know that already.

A floatier option that you could apply exactly the same principle to. It's amazing how a fabulous pair of sandals can instantly transform the plainest of dress into evening wear.

Piper Dress £59



Pretty little shoulder detail. It's a beach dress actually and I don't remember seeing this particular one so can't vouch for it's transparency. Worth ordering though because it's lovely isn't it?

Knot Front Sleeveless Beach Dress £15




Not quite black but good enough. A nod to the Boho trend without being over the top which means of course that it will last far longer in your wardrobe. I didn't realise that I needed this in my life until I saw it. Oh gawd! Writing a blog is dangerous.

Bude Embroidered Dress £45


I think the key is to find a dress with a detailed something. That could be an asymmetric hem or pretty straps or embroidery. It makes the outfit look a little more special than a plain old up and down t-shirt dress.

And for me it's all about keeping the look simple and uncluttered at home, so I teamed the dress with a neutrals adding a stack of coloured bracelets.




I'm still in flip flops after the husband told me to meet him in Leicester Square on Saturday and then made me walk all the way to Smith & Wollensky, just off The Strand. Ok, it's only half a mile but in vertigo challenging stilettos, it felt more like 5. I still have blisters nearly a week later. These gorgeous wedge flip flops from Holster Australia have been my saviours this week. I have a friend who is much more petite than me and she ALWAYS ALWAYS wears wedge flip flops to give her a couple of extra inches in height. Good job really because it stops me from looking like a lanky giant when I stand next to her. Do you remember this post when we talked about how to make your legs look longer in summer? Well these do just the same.

Stylish and comfortable. Ladies, you need these in your life.

Holster Australia Coastline Wedges £35


Gosh, I love my neutrals.....



Apparently we're going to get rain tomorrow. Ho-hum. Please tell me that, that wasn't summer.



Have a lovely evening and I'll catch up with you over the weekend.


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment