$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

6.29.2017

Playing Dress Up At Stoke Park With Winser London

Stoke Park in summer
***

I can't quite believe that I'm sat here this evening in fluffy socks and bullying the hubby to light a fire. What a contrast from last week. Is there any wonder we're permanently stuffed up with colds in the UK? So, I thought it was about time that I followed up with a second blog post about the Stoke Park event that I attended a few weeks ago when the weather was particularly spectacular. The first post about the dreamy trouser suit is here.

I was invited by Winser London (yes yes them again but they are one of  my favourite brands) to spend a day trying on a few outfits, chatting to the girls (who are absolutely lovely) and sharing afternoon tea with a few other bloggers. Stoke Park wasn't randomly chosen for it's charm although it is indeed charming. No, Stoke Park was where this brand was conceived and developed by founder, Kim Winser. She wrote her business plan in the stunning grounds so it was a fitting place to hold their first blogger away day.

Stoke Park golf


This is Kim. Wearing what I think must be a past season WL silk shirt in midnight navy and current season white woven leggings.


Kim Winser of Winser London


Highly acclaimed by Hilary Rose of The Times who likened them to top designer equivalent leggings. But check out those fabulous shoes. I couldn't stop looking at them!! Shoe envy indeed.

Our suite for the day was only the one that Bridget Jones and the randy Daniel Cleaver stayed in. Four poster bed and everything. In fact there's quite a lot of movie history at Stoke Park including a couple of James Bond scenes that were filmed in the grounds. Well, Pinewood Studios is a mere 4 miles away. Regardless of being  in awe of past visitors, it's a stunning place. You know you've come to something very quintessentially English when you hear the thwak of tennis balls as you step out of the car.


Stoke Park bedroom suite


So, let's talk about the clothes. I chose four outfits to try (you saw the trouser suit last time and that was probably my favourite although I didn't know it at the time - only after seeing the photos). 

First up, this khaki jumpsuit. I've seen it worn really baggy - the lady in question had obviously sized up and it looked fabulous. I went for the small which was a neater, snugger fit. Now when I say snugger, that's not a polite word for tight because it was very comfortable to wear. All I'm saying is that it works worn both ways. If you prefer a smarter look size down, or more casual, go up. Simples!

Khaki jumpsuit by Winser London
Cotton Twill Utility Jumpsuit - Winser London
Leopard Print Velvet Shoes - River Island

It's obviously not a piece that we would want to wear in the UK heatwave that lasts a whole 3 days but for days that we have right now, this jumpsuit is perfect. And what I've come to realise is that we need more of these kind of clothes than strappy, floaty dresses. 


Khaki jumpsuit by Winser London at Stoke Park


There's a lot of thought put in to the quality of the fabric at Winser London. I was blown away by the stretch in their silk, quite extraordinary and wonderfully comfortable to wear. They also give this twill fabric the same treatment so it moves with you rather than constricts. And of course that helps with the creasing. It held it's shape really well. A final point, it's transitional across the seasons and would look great with a black blazer and ankle boots in autumn or a really chunky cardigan in winter. Massive thumbs up for the jumpsuit except I won't do the thumbs bit because I may be mistaken for a cast member from Top Gun. Yes, the aviators didn't go un-noticed 😎

I'm wearing a small, am 5ft 8 1/2 and normally wear a UK10/12 to give you an idea of sizing.

And then we turn to the blush pink and white combo. For women who can wear blush pink, it really does complement the skin tone. Everything looks less harsh when I wear it next to my face (if you're over 50 fighting wrinkles, you'll know exactly what I mean).

Let's talk about the little Parisian Jacket and not only because it's currently on offer at £69. It's not a sugary pink, more dusky so very grown up. And it's quite versatile too. Office wear, evening wear or dressed down with jeans and a t-shirt. Also available in soft white and midnight navy which is oh so French. This is a small. 

Blush pink cardi and white wide leg cropped trousers
Cotton Parisian Jacket - Winser LondonCotton Twill Cropped Trousers - Winser London
Audrey Cashmere Scoop Next Jumper - Winser London
Block Heel Sandal - Marks & Spencer

I'm wearing it with the Cotton Twill Cropped Trousers in size 10. They fitted like a dream, and thank the Lord (or should I say Kim) for that little bit of stretch because I'm hooked on Crunchie Ice Creams with popping candy. I'd go so far to say that it's a full on addiction which is doing my waist line no favours at all. Now this is a very mum thing to say but OMG they wash and iron so well. The kids laugh at me for saying things like that but it matters right?


blush cardigan and wide leg cropped trousers in white


And underneath, the Audrey Cashmere Scoop Neck Jumper which is a small, a great top to wear on meh days. Oh today then!


blush pink jumper and white trousers


Honestly, I'd fill my wardrobe with blush and white if I could. 

My final outfit was a simple dress, the Crepe Jersey Crochet Trim Shift Dress, bit of a cheat because I knew it would be ok, firstly because it's blush and secondly because I'd already borrowed the other colour way, black and ivory for another post, that I haven't even shown you yet. Right, if you're looking for a really comfortable dress, one that covers your lumps and bumps but doesn't add pounds and you can wear it for so many different events, GET THIS. If I had a wardrobe full of clothes like this dress, I would never be stuck for anything to wear. You could do it for a wedding with all the trimmings and then throw on a biker jacket and trainers the following day. No one would even register that it's the same dress. And did I say how comfortable it is. I did? Ok. Won't mention it again. 

blush pink shift dress at stoke park
Crepe Jersey Crochet Trim Shift Dress - Winser LondonBlock Heel Sandal - Marks & Spencer


Pockets ladies....


blush pink shift dress


It would have been a lovely dress without the crochet detail but it kind of makes it a little bit more special and of course we all like vertical lines because of the slimming effect!


blush pink dress


So they were the outfits that I chose to try. You can see what my fellow bloggers chose below:

Cyran from Corporate Style Story

Lisa from The Sequinist

Michelle from Retro Chic Mama

We were treated to hair and make-up and I wanted to pick up those ladies, put them in my car and drive them home for daily use.




Linda knows exactly how to work magic with her make-up brushes using Delilah products (stockist here). I'd heard of this brand but never tried anything from the range. The Pure Light Compact Illuminating Powder is A-list in my opinion and one to be purchased. It's a brand I'd like to explore more.


Delilah make-up


The family fell about laughing when I told them that we'd had a flower arranging lesson. They think I'm going to be donning my pinny any day soon, joining the W.I. and making marmalade. Sounds quite appealing to me actually. The girls at Lilys Flowers are super talented and made it all sound very easy. We were aiming for a woodland theme...


flower arranging at Stoke Park




Come on, not a bad attempt.


Afternoon tea was delicious and very welcome after being on our feet for a few hours in the 28 degrees heat. That glass of champagne went down a treat, I'm not going to lie.

private dining at Stoke Park
Add caption





And because the girls at Winser London think of everything, what a beautiful gift to go home with, a beautiful personalised silk shirt. Check out the cuff. Thank god they didn't monogram I Won't Wear Sludge Brown (I.W.W.S.B.).


silk shirt and black blazer


In a personalised garment bag. Little things right?



personalised garment bags


As days out go, it was grand. And lovely to see a few more pieces from the collection that I haven't had the opportunity to look at before. A massive thank you to the gang for inviting me. Truly honoured.






*** photo c/o Stoke Park
Photo credit: @libby.mclaren




4 comments on "Playing Dress Up At Stoke Park With Winser London"
  1. Lovely pictures Donna. It looks like you had a great day out. All the outfits really suit you. I like the pink dress especially and would like to see that lovely silk blouse in more detail. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. Yes the pink dress is gorgeous although I've got the slightly shorter version already. I may buy the other colour way though later in the season. That's one good thing about WL, they don't do fast fashion so you can afford to wait x

      Delete
  2. What a lovely day for you! Loving that personalised gift, such a classy Brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely day Naomi. And very hot!! The shirt is absolutely beautiful and yes very classy x

      Delete