$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

7.11.2017

One Summer Top, Two Ways

As a Soft colour palette, I find that lots of prints are too strong for my blended look. Mousey haired and blonde girls will know what I mean. Sometimes I put up and shut up and just buy the print but it means that I have to wear stronger make up and deeper lipstick otherwise I look tired and drawn. Another trick that I adopt is to pull my hair away from my face - it all helps but it's never perfect.

And then I saw this printed top from Nougat London. Far softer and much more flattering against my skin tone. It really, really does make a difference. The black edging around the v-neck is a bit clever - it stops the top from looking prissy. Kind of toughens it up. I always knew that I wanted to wear it with white jeans and wedges for a casual, clean summery look.

It's a lovely shade of the palest pink with a grey pattern, a good combination for ladies with a blended, soft look.


pretty summer top white jeans espadrille sandals and basket bag
Top - Nougat London £45 Jeans - River Island (old) similar
Espadrille Sandals - Holster Australia Bag - Primark 


Little frill sleeves and hem give it a real summery feel. It's quite sheer so I've added this nude pink camisole but a white one would work equally well. A v-neck is probably better than a round one so that it doesn't show. I love the fact that although  the top is floaty, it's a straight cut so doesn't swamp your figure. Although pregnant women are lovely, the preggers look isn't something I want to do right now!

One of the things I like to do in summer is play with proportions. So ankle grazer jeans and a longer top adds a little bit of interest to an otherwise quite plain outfit.


pretty summer top white jeans espadrille sandals and basket bag




I've added my Holster Espadrille Wedges (don't worry, Holster Australia are still in business, they're just having a bit of a site makeover). There are lots of stockists at the bottom of this page that you can contact in the meantime. Plus this season's straw bag from Primark (I think the black picks out the neckline of the top really well) and some rose gold jewellery.



pretty summer top white jeans espadrille sandals and basket bag


A nice little summer outfit then.


pretty summer tunic top white jeans basket bag and espadrilles
TopNougat London £45 Jeans - River Island (old) similar
Espadrille Sandals - Holster Australia Bag - Primark 


But. But. But. We need to rewind. I promised you two looks. Well, it all started when I fake tanned my legs last week and the parcel arrived containing this top. No way was I going to try on white jeans with newly browned legs (these two elements really don't mix do they?) so I tried on the top for size on it's own.

Oh, it looks like a dress.

And the cogs started turning. If I add a full slip underneath (which is certainly needed), it would make a really rather fabulous dress for my holidays. So I did and this was the result.


floaty summer dress and metallic gladiators
Top - Nougat London £45 Gladiators - Top Shop (old) similar
Bag - Karen Millen £90


The fact that it reminded me of a Zimmerman dress wasn't wasted on me. And if you know Zimmerman, you'll know we are talking silly, silly money, upward of £700 for a flimsy, floaty dress. This one is £45 in the sale!!!

It's not something I would wear in the UK because I think it's a little difficult to layer well and let's face it, we need layers in this country. But for a gorgeous kooky little outfit on the Med or in the Caribbean, it's idea. I feel as if I'm short changing the look and had I the skills of photoshopping, I would have lifted my image and placed it against a white wash taverna in Kefalonia with lapping aqua sea in the background. But photo editing isn't my thing. I mean, I can brighten an image and add a bit of warmth (when I remember) but that's about it. I point the camera, run around to the front and snap. That. Is. It. So sorry, there won't be any fancy images but please feel free to use your imagination (pleeeease).


summer holiday dress and metallic gladiator sandals
Top - Nougat London £45 Gladiators - Top Shop (old) similar
Bag - Karen Millen £90

I'm wearing this slip underneath in almond which is reversible but white would work equally well. You can buy them cheap as chips online on Ebay and Amazon.

The beauty about this top-that-thinks-it's-a-dress is it packs to the size of a toothbrush. Tiny. And given the amount of outfits I want/need to take this holiday, that can only be a good thing 👍

Well that was a bit of a surprise wasn't it? One summer top, two ways.

The Marks & Spencer sale has started today. I got my order in last night via the Sparks preview. And the white tailored dress I featured yesterday is half price (shop here). Well, that is if there are any left. And do you remember that little cardigan I featured here. That's half price too (shop here). It looks pretty pants online but is a cracker in real life. I sized up to a 12 for a looser fit. It just looked better than the 10.





Back soon. Hope you're having some success in the sales (if that's what you're up to). If not, drink wine or eat chocolate or something. Just as gratifying. Me? I'm doing all three, SIMULTANEOUSLY.







The top was gifted by Nougat London. They didn't ask for a blog post, they wanted me to try the brand as I've never bought from them before. I thought it was such a lovely, well made piece that I couldn't not show it to you. 

2 comments on "One Summer Top, Two Ways"
  1. I snapped up one of those belted white dresses in the M&S Sale as it looked so nice on you....just waiting for it to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really is lovely, I hope you like it as much as me x

      Delete